Dealing with “Administrative” issues is always a challenge, no matter what you are looking to accomplish. I promised myself that I would keep my sense of humor while dealing with my current administrative situation, but I must admit it is quickly wearing down my last nerve.
We are currently looking to accomplish two major administrative tasks. Part One - First and foremost is gathering all necessary paperwork so that we can marry in France as soon as possible. Marriage will allow us to then accomplish our second task, Part Two - which it to obtain my Carte De Sejour (CDS or Residency Papers which will allow me to work in France), this will of course be down the road a bit.
As a warning, there is an overwhelming amount of information out there on the internet, and we are discovering that much of that information is not accurate. So beware of information found on a google search! Contact a representative at the Consulate or Embassy, search their websites, but stay away from the un-official sites.
One of the documents required of me from France is the Certificat de Coutume. I just recently learned that this document must come from a lawyer affiliated with the French Consulate. I managed to make contact with their lawyer and am in the process of scanning and emailing everything over to her to review. I believe she will be able to translate all my required documents as well. I can tell you this is the biggest piece of Part One. I actually feel relieved, well just a little! I have my certified Birth Certificate (which I requested from the US Department of State as I was born in Rome) which took about 6 weeks from the date mailed. I have recent notarized copies of my divorce decree, and I need to provide proof of residency. All of these documents have a shelf life of 6 months, which means if we do not get married within 6 months of the oldest date on my documents, we will have to start over again!
After Patrick has established residency in the town of Mériel for one month we may then present our documents to the Town Hall. We actually have an appointment already set up for August 23rd! As soon as they approve our file, we then must wait for 10 business days before we are allowed to get married. Our wedding announcement is published somewhere in the town and the 10 day waiting period allows anyone to contest our marriage announcement.
After we are legally married we wait 6 months before I get my Long Term Visa, and I believe a year after that I can then request my CDS. The Long Term Visa I am sure will be a trying process in itself. I will need to take a language test (written and oral) and answer some general questions about the French government….I have the perfect teacher for that!
I’m not sure if our original September 17th wedding date will hold, but there is a great chance that it will!
Apparently the Birth Certificate issued by the US Department of State is not acceptable. Trying to figure this out, may need to go to Rome..hehe...small sacrifice to make!
ReplyDelete