Saturday, December 4, 2010

Zee Yarne Shoppe


I finally made it to a Parisian yarn shop, the short of it - NOT IMPRESSED. DISAPPOINTED. And I'm getting ready to tell you the medium/short version of it. I don't want to be too negative when talking about the country I'm getting ready to move to, know what I mean??
I have been wanting to go to this particular yarn shop in Paris, for quite some time now. I have read mixed reviews about it, so it wasn't always on top of my list. But since plans are underway to move to the Parisian suburbs in the next 8 months it's becoming an emergency that I find a good yarn shop..right?? So last Friday my friend and I had a list of shops we wanted to go to and at the bottom of the list was La Droguerie .

Quite cute from the outside, which we quickly discovered was the only picture we were allowed to take. I do give them some credit, because it is indeed a very charming shop, but sadly lacking in what a yarn shop is really about. Friendly atmosphere and yarn selection and an element of cozy comfort. You can forget about finding a comfy place to sit and knit. And here I thought the French were all about taking time out, sitting and chatting, seizing the day? Apparently that's not happening at the local yarn shop. Walking through the front door you immediately walk through a narrow hallway (not sure what else to call it, it looks like a hallway to me). Yarn is displayed on either side, beautiful yarns, but a stingy selection. We were instructed by the "annoying guy sales clerk" (rudely I might add) that you must get into this imaginary line to be served. We managed to find the imaginary line and waited our turn. The "very nice sales clerk" (quite possibly the only very nice sales clerk) greeted us and we pointed out to what we were hoping to purchase. The "very nice sales clerk" quickly wrote down and asked us to wait 10 minutes as she disappeared into the back. As we were waiting around and gawking at the goods we decided to take a couple pictures. The "annoying guy sales clerk" pointed at the "No Pictures" sign. I had no idea what he was pointing at, I thought he wanted us to get into another imaginary line to wait for our purchase. I then noticed the big "No Pictures" sign. Seriously?? Did they really think I was going to steal an idea from them? At this point I was so DONE with them, my friend nonchalantly pulled her iphone out, pretended to be texting and snapped away. Screw them. Seriously. I will add that they did have a lovely selection of buttons and ribbons and embellishments (you can see from the pictures we stole), however, there was a line for that as well. A line to look at the buttons! This was the only line that was not imaginary. I seriously felt like I was at the museum, waiting in line to take a peek at the Monalisa. I was discouraged, needless to say. It was difficult to move around in this shop I felt very uncomfortable, a feeling I've never had in a yarn shop before. The "very nice sales clerk" came out with our order of yarn and we were told to get into another imaginary line to pay for our goods. This imaginary line confused me even more. We were the only customers standing next to the counter, where the "annoying guy sales clerk" was standing, staring at what may have possibly been another imaginary line. "Annoying guy sales clerk" simply ignored us. He ignored us for about three minutes. He then looked at us and gave us his best fake smile (oh and by now I know what these fake smiles really are saying) and cashed us out. Keep in mind, I recounted the medium short version of what happened. I left a couple other details out...don't want to appear as if I'm bashing the French, ya know? I don't really think I will ever go back to this yarn shop.


I have two more shops to check out in the Paris area, I plan on going there early January. I will let you know how that goes.
As I sit day and night, trying to figure out what I will be doing in Paris when I move there...I'm wondering..could Paris use a great yarn shop? A friendly, comfortable, spacious place to knit? I need to give this some serious thought. Of course I will need to learn to talk knit in French
toute de suite!
Need to add a P.S. I am really annoyed by blogger right now! It may be time to switch over!

1 comment:

  1. I'll show you around Typepad when you come over tonight--bring your computer to see if it likes my WiFi, too!

    I can't wait to get all the "left out" juicy details!!!

    ReplyDelete