Monday, January 17, 2011

The File





Patrick took the next step and went to Town Hall last week in the town he lives in and was given the official document listing what all we need. In a nutshell I will need the following (all translated in French):
  • An ID
  • Birth certificate (tricky as I was born abroad)
  • Proof of address (in USA)
  • Witnesses (2 minimum, 4 max)
  • A custom certificate (delivered by the consulate)
  • A proof of prior marriage and divorce
  • Wedding contract (?) which sounds like a pre-nup not sure we are going to do that


I'm going to be planning a trip to NYC to the consulate very very soon...I'm bringing a partner in crime for moral support!

Once I have gathered all of these documents Patrick and I must appear together at the Town Hall to register our wedding date. Our wedding date must be displayed at the Town Hall (I guess so that if anyone wants to dispute it they will have the opportunity to do so) for 20 days, then we have another 10 days after that to get married. One thing we need to keep in mind...on our wedding date, my documents cannot be older than 6 months. Timing will be very important!! Sounds simple in some ways, but yet again...I know how administrative business works...we will have challenges!!

No comments:

Post a Comment